Tuesday, January 11, 2011

negative noodle no more!

Be happy, happy, happy!!  
In general I'm a pretty negative, cynical individual.  I go beyond, "is that glass half empty or half full?"  Cause to me, it looks like the glass is dirty and the milk has gone sour!  Who cares if it's half full or not?
I went on my first long run (45 mins) of the year on Sunday, and I was running in my newly assessed zone 1 heart rate.  My new zone 1 had me running significantly slower then I liked.  I probably could have been speed walking faster and thats exactly what my thoughts focused on for the entire run. Anytime a fellow runner came up beside me and asked how things were, I just grumbled "argh this new zone 1 is killing me! I'm running SO slow! This is ridiculous."  Instead, I could have commented on what a beautiful day it was, how fortunate we were to be running on such a sunny, crisp morning, how great it was to see so many other runners out, or even complimented the nice, warm running attire that so and so was wearing.  No, instead I was a negative noodle and grumbled.
From now on, I am going to make a conscious effort to be positive!  Just like training my body for Ironman, I have to train my thoughts and comments to be high spirited and constructive.


In regards to the slow zone 1 running pace, this happened last year as well.  The first few weeks, I was barely jogging to keep my heart rate down in zone 1, but I stuck with it and sure enough, within a few weeks, I was fighting to run fast enough to keep my heart rate in zone 1.  I just need to let my heart and body adapt, and in turn, this will allow me to run faster.  I would love to explain it a bit more scientifically, but I'm afraid I'll say something incorrect.  But what I can say is that it has to do with the fact that Ironman is an endurance sport and so my aerobic fitness needs to work well.  Completing my long runs at this slower pace teaches my body how to get more oxygen to my muscles faster by making my heart stronger and convert carbs and fat into energy for my body to use.  (please don't quote me on this though)


This morning I started my swim course at the YMCA downtown.  While I was putting my stuff away in the locker, a little lady saw my ironman bag and asked if I had completed it.  When she found out I had, she just kept calling me her hero.  "You're amazing! wow! you're my hero! I cant believe you did that. You're a hero.  You're my hero!"  I was off to a good start!  How could I not be? I'm somebody's hero!
Anyways, I'm really excited to be swimming with Sea Hikers, because I think I'll see a lot of improvement in my swim stroke.  I've already received some great feedback.  The funny thing about swimming is that you might think your body is doing what it's suppose to be doing, and it might feel correct, but usually its not.  I listen to the coach, I mimic what the coach is doing, I practice on deck, I practice while standing in the water, but once I'm actually horizontal, it becomes so foreign!! I'll get it eventually.  I'll have an "ah hah!!" light bulb moment and then it will all connect.


On a final note, I'd like to say I'm one of thooooose crazy fit people now.
I remember driving home early sunday mornings from a "fun" night out with the girls and seeing groups of people running or jogging.  I'd think to myself, 'ok, I enjoy running, but I enjoy sleeping in or partying more.  Those people are nuts! I'll run later in the afternoon.'  Long runs: Sunday mornings at 8am.  I'm one of them

2 comments:

  1. Your biceps are actually more like 20.75". Muscle woman!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. my biceps would almost be as big as my legs!! eeew hahaha

    ReplyDelete