Saturday, January 15, 2011

sing you a song for a dollar!!


Now I just need to find 2999 more people to sing to!  I knew the bike meet and greet at Speed Theory would be a bad idea because now I want a new tri bike even more!! The info was fantastic and the vibe was really relaxed.  All the questions -there are no stupid questions...right??- asked were answered in a way that was simple enough for us to understand (no complex terms) but not so simple that we felt belittled.  I hate it when you go into a bike store, tri store or any store and the person you're talking with makes you feel embarrassed and little because your knowledge of whatever you're trying to buy is minimal.  It's worse though, when they speak too fast and with complex terminology and lingo.  Then I usually leave the store more confused and frustrated and put whatever purchase I was going to make on the back burner for a few days.  Within those few days I usually convince myself I no longer need it.


Bikes, bikes, back to bikes!  I want to get a new tri bike! Cervelo P2 to be exact.  Much lighter because it's all carbon fiber, more aerodynamic, better fit, ugh and the list goes on and on.  What if I shaved off my hair?? would you donate money??  If I swore to shave it all off If I received 3000 in donations?? Id do it, I really would!  Say good bye to my long, wavy, thick hair.....it takes too long to wash every day anyways....Id donate the hair of course....


So what's wrong with the bike that I have now?  Nothing.  That baby has gotten me through a number of triathlons and two Ironmans.  I even came second in my age group in a sprint last year and came so close to 3rd in an olympic distance (walked away 4th).  I'd been toying with the idea of getting a new bike after finishing Ironman Canada last year, but then I reasoned that If I just trained harder and more consistently plus raced smart, I wouldn't need to invest in a new bike.  My reasoning isn't working anymore.  The advantages of training and racing on a tri bike versus a road bike are becoming more clear.  Speed, better efficiency and fresher legs for a speedy run.  Last year, I didnt push on my bike for IMC because I just couldnt!  The immediate onset of GI problems caused me to sit upright for half the course because it was too painful to bend over and stay in my aero bars.  I was forced to take 4 breaks while I waited (on 4 different occasions) for the porter potty and the last 110 km I rode by 'feel' because the cadence and heart rate monitor stopped picking up on my bike.  I finished my bike in 7:02:39, about 8 mins slower then my 2008 time of 6:54:11 but when it was time to hobble off my bike and start running, my legs felt great.  I killed the run in 4:12:20, 34 mins faster then my 2008 time of 4:46:02, finishing overall in 12:36:49.  That was almost 30 mins faster then my 2008 finish of 13:11:24.
Training for IMC 2010, I used heart rate zones and started training earlier (instead of starting in May like I had in 2008) so I was obviously stronger and had greater endurance, but I am certain that taking those 180km easy on the bike course made for a huge difference on the run.  If I could find a way to give my legs the same relief without having to compromise speed on the bike, a tri bike would be the way.  


I need to make this work somehow! 



No comments:

Post a Comment