Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I swim like a seal

This morning I received one of the best swimming compliments I've ever heard.  There were only three of us swimming this morning, and one of our last drills was to do a 4x50m relay. (is that right? im trying to say that we each swam 50 m, 4 times by ourselves).  
Anyways, this allowed us to watch each other swim.  After my last 50 meters, the other two swimmers exclaimed that I swam like a seal!  I don't splash, I'm very smooth and I quickly glide through the water.  That put a huge grin on my face!


Swimming is technically the hardest discipline out of the 3.  There is so much to think about! Two-beat kick, arms coordinated with legs, stream-line, breathing, arm catch, arm pull, don't scull while breathing, leading with the elbow, arms wider....and once I think I've got it all down, I get another correction! Or because I'm thinking about the 8 other things Im suppose to be doing, I've completely ignored something.


Every new correction breaks my swimming down to the point where I just float in the water while I try and figure out what to do with my body, but once I get it all coordinated, I can swim like a seal :)


Regardless of all the things I have to think about, I still find swimming the most relaxing discipline to train for.


....well, except when I'm at the aquatic center and there's a guy standing on deck wearing camouflage print speedos.  "uh oh, where'd u go?? oh I didnt see you standing on the deck there bc u were wearing tiny camo speedos! TOTALLY blended into the wall" LOL

1 comment: